Re: Internal error: couldn't generate list of packages to download

On 2020-09-25 at 07:48, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> I am running up-to-date Buster, unfortunately there seems to be a bit of
> a problem.
>
> Normally I run the update process several times a week with the command
> sudo apr update && sudo apt upgrade.
         ^

I'm presuming this is a pure mail-writing typo.

> This morning this resulted in the error
>
> The following partially installed packages will be configured:
>    brscan4

As I think at least one other person has noted, this does not appear to
be available in the Debian archives, at least not as far as I've managed
to determine.

> No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> E: Can't find a source to download version '0.4.8-1' of 'brscan4:amd64'
> After unpacking 0 B will be used.
> E: Can't find a source to download version '0.4.8-1' of 'brscan4:amd64'

To my eye, this looks as if something is telling apt that version
0.4.8-1 is available somewhere, and the upgrade session is deciding that
it needs to install that version, but then none of the configured
sources include that version (and it's not already cached locally).

What do

$ apt-cache policy brscan4
$ apt-cache rdepends brscan4

say?