Re: Returning to /var/log/boot.log and Greg Wooledge`s reply

On Tue 29 Sep 2020 at 01:42:03 (+1300), Richard Hector wrote:
> On 29/09/20 12:40 am, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> >> I think you mean adduser rather than addgroup there:
> >>
> >> $ sudo adduser myloginname adm
> >>
> >> You're adding the user to the group, rather than the group to the user :-)
> >
> > I think either will work:
> >
> > from man adduser <one of five ways to invoke adduser>:
> >
> >    Add an existing user to an existing group
> >        If  called  with  two non-option arguments, adduser will add an
> > existing user to an existing group.
> >

> > from man addgroup <one of five ways to invoke addgroup>:
> >
> >    Add an existing user to an existing group
> >        If  called  with  two non-option arguments, adduser will add an
> > existing user to an existing group.
>
> Those are both the same manpage (adduser(8)), which describes both
> commands. Both instances of that quote refer to adduser :-)
>
> addgroup is just a symlink to adduser, but behaves differently when
> called with that name.

I just gave the OP a command that works. I hadn't expected it to
kick off a discussion, nor to have to justify it. But:

axis!david 08:55:22 ~ $ grep -e '^adm' -e '^unlock' /etc/group
adm:x:4:david
unlock:x:1010:
axis!david 08:55:47 ~ $ grep -e '^adm' -e '^unlock' /etc/group
adm:x:4:david,unlock
unlock:x:1010:
axis!david 08:56:40 ~ $

axis 08:51:11 ~#  addgroup unlock adm
Adding user `unlock' to group `adm' ...
Adding user unlock to group adm
Done.
axis 08:56:28 ~#

Or, if you prefer it in a time sequence:

axis!david 08:55:22 ~ $ grep -e '^adm' -e '^unlock' /etc/group
adm:x:4:david
unlock:x:1010:
axis!david 08:55:47 ~ $ grep -e '^adm' -e '^unlock' /etc/group

axis 08:51:11 ~#  addgroup unlock adm
Adding user `unlock' to group `adm' ...
Adding user unlock to group adm
Done.
axis 08:56:28 ~#

axis!david 08:55:47 ~ $ grep -e '^adm' -e '^unlock' /etc/group
adm:x:4:david,unlock
unlock:x:1010:
axis!david 08:56:40 ~ $

Buried in there is "addgroup unlock adm", where adm is the well-known
group, and unlock is the user whose sole function is to lock and
unlock /home partitions on my systems.

Cheers,
David.