Re: weird behaviour of quotes in dash variable assignments

On 2020-09-22 00:25, David Christensen wrote:
On 2020-09-21 18:04, Gary Dale wrote:

The two servers are for different customers. I would not want to create a tunnel between them. Instead I have my normal ssh tunnels to each server from my workstation. However the script is only readable by root while my tunnels are for my non-root account. While I could copy the file to my non-root account (while root), chown it, copy it to my workstation then to the other server, where I'd move it to /root, that's a lot more work than cat, copy, paste, save.

Again, the method I used should not have created any changes in the script that would affect its operation. And to date I've seen no indication that it did. I still don't know why the script was leaving the quotes in nor why it started working.

You might want to consider ssh-agent and SSH agent forwarding. These allow you to access your version control server over SSH from remote hosts by using your workstation credentials; no credentials required on the remote host:

https://dev.to/levivm/how-to-use-ssh-and-ssh-agent-forwarding-more-secure-ssh-2c32

David

I'm not sure that does anything for me. I would need to create a "root" key to get access to the file, which is something I refuse to do.

Right now the ssh tunnel requires a key on the remote server and there are no root keys so even if someone gains access, they still don't have root access.

There are other tools that work better for pushing things to multiple servers but all of these tools assume you are doing it often enough or to enough machines to make it worthwhile. That's not my situation.