Re: weird behaviour of quotes in dash variable assignments

On 2020-09-21 18:04, Gary Dale wrote:

The two servers are for different customers. I would not want to create a tunnel between them. Instead I have my normal ssh tunnels to each server from my workstation. However the script is only readable by root while my tunnels are for my non-root account. While I could copy the file to my non-root account (while root), chown it, copy it to my workstation then to the other server, where I'd move it to /root, that's a lot more work than cat, copy, paste, save.

Again, the method I used should not have created any changes in the script that would affect its operation. And to date I've seen no indication that it did. I still don't know why the script was leaving the quotes in nor why it started working.

You might want to consider ssh-agent and SSH agent forwarding. These allow you to access your version control server over SSH from remote hosts by using your workstation credentials; no credentials required on the remote host:

https://dev.to/levivm/how-to-use-ssh-and-ssh-agent-forwarding-more-secure-ssh-2c32

David