weird behaviour of quotes in bash variable assignments

I have the same bash script on two different Debian/Buster AMD64 servers. However on one it refused to run. I tracked it down quickly to a variable substitution problem.

The line causing the problem reads: report="/root/clamscan-report"

On one server  echo $report  prints  /root/clamscan-report  while on the other it prints  "/root/clamscan-report".

Needless to say clamscan can't print to the latter. I fixed it by removing the quotes on the one server but now the scripts are different between the two servers, which isn't what I want. More importantly, I don't understand why it refuses to remove the quotes.

Where does this behaviour (keeping the quotes) get set?