Re: Buster with MATE without systemd

On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 22:22:17 +0300
Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net> wrote:

> 	Hi.
>
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 10:32:14AM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > dbus, which is an xorg dependency,
>
> Not in buster:
>
> # apt policy dbus
> dbus:
>   Installed: (none)
>   Candidate: 1.12.20-0+deb10u1
>   Version table:
>      1.12.20-0+deb10u1 500
>         500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
>
> # apt policy xserver-xorg
> xserver-xorg:
>   Installed: 1:7.7+19
>   Candidate: 1:7.7+19
>   Version table:
>  *** 1:7.7+19 500
>         500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>

> > but it itself has a systemd dependency.
>
> Not in buster, again:

Perhaps, I wrongly remembered.  It has been a year ago.  And my
install notes have long since been destroyed.  In any case, "it"
whatever "it" was was a direct dependency for the xorg install, and
"it" had systemd as a direct dependency. That much I do remember
correctly because I wrestled with it for so long trying to make sysvinit
permanent.

> # apt policy dbus
> dbus:
>   Installed: 1.12.20-0+deb10u1
>   Candidate: 1.12.20-0+deb10u1
>   Version table:
>  *** 1.12.20-0+deb10u1 500
>         500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> # apt policy systemd
> systemd:
>   Installed: (none)
>   Candidate: 241-7~deb10u4
>   Version table:
>      241-7~deb10u4 500
>         500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
>

> > To make a long story short, after two or so weeks of research and
> > numerous failed trials, I came to the conclusion that systemd has
> > become too entrenched in the dependency tree of Buster to successfully
> > convert to systvinit.
>
> But it is possible. Just forget about running any DE.

Or running a window manager, etc.  Had no problems converting to
sysvinit with a terminal only system.  First thing I did.  I always
start my installs that way and build from there.  Lighter, faster, more
efficient system without all the crud that comes with a general DE
install.

> > Even trying to install something that has no systemd dependency at all
> > depends on something, that depends on something else, etc. that has a
> > systemd dependency.  And systemd gets reinstalled.
>
> apt install something systemd-
>
> Works wonders in cases such as this.

Tried that and a couple variations, too.  Resulted in that particular
part of the install stopping or failing due to "missing dependencies"
or some such error.