Re: LEAN Debian install: Exploring task selection menu

On Tue 15 Sep 2020 at 21:23:20 +0200, Fabrice BAUZAC-STEHLY wrote:

> Brian writes:
>
> > On Mon 14 Sep 2020 at 08:12:50 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> >
> > The Debian desktop environment installs task-desktop. This package
> > recommends desktop task packages. task-gnome-desktop is the first one
> > listed, so it will be the one installed. In that sense, the installer
> > does know what the default is.
> >
> > Suppose a user installs with base-installer/install-recommends set to
> > false. With the Debian desktop environment being the only option ticked,
> > a user would not install task-gnome-desktop but would get xorg and
> > enough software to use X. The suggested scheme would not cater for this.
>
> When during a Debian install a random user gets in front of the tasksel
> dialog, they probably don't know about this complex behaviour.  I think
> we should make this dialog less ambiguous to let users know what boxes
> to check according to what they want.

A user sees a dialog with only only Debian desktop environment selected.
Activating this gets him what is displayed. Nothing ambiguous there.

A user deselects the only ticked entry and activates the choice. I think
we can agree that a desktop is not installed.

Another user deselects the only ticked entry and ticks MATE instead. He
expects MATE to be installed. Where's the ambiguity?

> Do you think the behaviour "without Recommends" should be an option
> presented to the user?

No.

--
Brian.