Re: xfce4 widget problem

On Sun 13 Sep 2020 at 03:01:15 (+0000), ghe2001 wrote:
> On Saturday, September 12, 2020 10:39 PM, Charles Curley charlescurley@charlescurley.com wrote:
>
> > According tohttps://docs.xfce.org/panel-plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin,
> > the weather source (met.no) provides forecast data only, so when it
> > does deliver data, it is semi-bogus anyway.
>
> Yeah, I've wondered how accurate it can be from Norway -- but it's (sometimes) close enough for government work. OTOH, I live in Boulder, Colorado, and one day last week it said it was sunny out. But it wasn't; it was snowing all day.
>
> But that was after it stopped getting data (there was a week of forecast in RAM).
>
> I buy your explanation. It clears up my total bewilderment. I'll keep that link, too :-)
>
> I've looked for a better weather widget, but couldn't find one for xfce4. Anybody know of one? Maybe even one that gets data from the known working airport a couple miles from here?

I don't know whether, living near or in mountains, Denver International
is close enough to be of any use to you:
http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/72565.html
but their site for Boulder Municipal looks very iffy, at least this
week's, and lacks pressure readings:
http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/2075059.html

I live four miles from our local airport and the biggest difference is
the rainfall amounts when these recent cloudbursts go by. I imagine
that your wind parameters might be more spacially variable than here
in the Flint Hills.

Does anyone know why sunshine recorders are so sparse in the US?
In fact, I'd say they're virtually unknown. In the UK, they're
scattered all over, eg it was seven miles to my local one at:
http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/3740.html

Cheers,
David.