Re: query about kernel, download options, sessions

nenu crok wrote:
> i have few queries. please be simple. english is not my native language.

That's true for lots of people here.

> i assumed kernel is most important for system security. do we have tweaked kernel packages. i dont mind a little of sluggishness or loss of performance.

The kernel is updated regularly, and the debian-security team is
generally on top of things. You should subscribe to
debian-security-announce

> i am privacy freak, hence not using android. however, after seeing size of libreoffice, is there any way an option to download only small portion. i have overheard aboout similar option in our os debian. this is must, only metered ethernet or wifi connections in my area. i am specifically interested about disadvantages compared to full package or normal update or upgrade.

LibreOffice is about 600MB if you don't choose all the language
packs and dictionaries. There are 179 component packages, but
you only need a few.

- you can download packages to a USB stick at a library or
  university or internet cafe, then take them home and install
  them.

- you can purchase Debian DVDs and have them sent to you in the
  mail

> to me email is important. i have decided to contribute bit similar to seti. can i run mail in two terminals. i have read somewhere using ctrl alt f2 option to start new session. is word session correct ? by jumping using above option will log out from existing session.

ctrl-alt-F1 through F6 are usually set up as independent virtual
terminals. Changing to one or another should not log you out of
the one you were in, but only offer you a chance to log in to a
new one.

If you want to run mail in 2 sessions at the same time, the
important thing is to choose a mail storage format that supports
that. Maildir is the most useful. Any program that supports
Maildir should also support multiple sessions.

-dsr-