Re: Looking for a generic drag and drop gui for custom commands

On Tue, 2020-09-08 at 13:05 +0100, mick crane wrote:
> On 2020-09-07 21:43, Christoph K. wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I'd like to "automate" a couple of tasks that I (until now) do on
> > the
> > command line manually. Examples include splitting of video files
> > using
> > ffmpeg, run backups with specific parameters, display
> > checksums(md5),
> > etc.
> >
> > I'm tired of typing the same long commands that I often need to
> > look up
> > in my wiki and just replace one or two parameters, usually just
> > the
> > file
> > names.
>
> Put the (ffmpeg) command in a script and run it with argument/s ?

And run the script from a 'desktop entry' [1] and your desktop GUI may
let you run it with file arguments just by dropping files onto it. You
can put these 'desktop' files on you desktop or in there own directory
you can open when you have tasks to do.

The above works for me with LXDE. Though you don't get to edit
parameters to you scripts, just pass files to them.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/desktop_entries

--
Tixy