Re: passwords + bad memory - Was (Re: how to test disk for bad sector)

On Wed 02 Sep 2020 at 11:34:27 -0500, John Hasler wrote:

> tomas writes:
> > When a passphrase is long (16) I keep a little scrap until it is
> > memorized.
>
> I just follow Bruce Schneier's advice and write all of my (random)
> passwords down.  I end up memorizing the ones I use most, though.

This memorisation of a vast number of passwords is the killer, of
course, so writing all passwords down is a good idea. Why not record
them in passwd.text? Then

  scrypt enc passwords.txt passwords.enc

For access:

  scrypt dec passwords.enc

and copy and paste.

A password is required for decrypting passwords.enc. *M05o05m19m19a?
would do nicely. Just a single password to remember. It couldn't get
simpler.

--
Brian.