Re: passwords + bad memory - Was (Re: how to test disk for bad sector)

On Wed, Sep 02, 2020 at 11:30:44AM +1200, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
> On 02/09/2020 06:42, Mike McClain wrote:
> >On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 09:41:06PM +0000, Long Wind wrote:
> ><snip>
> >>my memory is poor, i can't remember many accounts and passwords
> >     The more experience you have the harder it is to find the
> >memory you're searching for. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
> Yes, you can't pour a gallon of knowledge into a shot glass without
> spilling a few drops (for those of us old enough to remember Married
> with Children).

And still -- you all know this model is flawed.

After dabbling with mnemonics and things for *years*, I got fed up
with all of that and tried... semi-random passwords. Like those made
up by pwgen.

My hard disk encryption password is 16 characters long, likewise
my backup's encryption (they're different, thanks for asking :)

They look like this:

  tomas@trotzki:~$ pwgen -N 1 -n 16
  ORoonaif5uqueo6o

Less sensitive things, like my login are eight chars.

Of course, that's only good for passwords I use often (the L1 cache,
roughly five entries). For the others, I have an encrypted plain
text file. This last passphrase has to be in cache, like that of
the LUKS disk encryption (ORed with the backup, phew ;-)

The thing is... I didn't know I can easily memorize that until I
tried! It's like getting up early without an alarm clock. If you
trust yourself, it kind of magically works.

I love tech, I'm a geek. But if the only raison d'être of tech is
to avoid discovering one's own capabilities, I'd rather pass.

YMMV, but generally speaking, the quintessence is that yo're capable
of things you never knew of.

Cheers
 - tomás