Re: folders (was Re: Why can't I move the document root for a site in Apache 2? [SOLVED])

On Ma, 01 sep 20, 15:53:17, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 01, 2020 at 06:48:22AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> > On 2020-09-01 at 04:29, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> >
> > > [1] Why people keep insisting in calling those things "folders" is
> > >    beyond me. They don't "fold" anything, do they?
> >
> > As I understand matters, it's an extension of the "desktop" metaphor.
>
> Yes, thanks for the reminder. My interjection was a bit... ironical.
> I'm sometimes miffed by the idea that using kiddy language would make
> computers more accessible.
>
> I think it's an antipattern, but of course anyone's mileage may vary.

Having had to explain "computer stuff" to various people over the time
(often older than me) I found the folder analogy to be easier to
understand than the telephone directory analogy.

It could also be a cultural thing: until 1990 only few households here
even had their own telephone line and telephone directories were even
rarer.

Kind regards,
Andrei