Re: folders (was Re: Why can't I move the document root for a site in Apache 2? [SOLVED])

On Wed, Sep 02, 2020 at 12:40:21PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

[...]

> > I think it's an antipattern, but of course anyone's mileage may vary.
>
> Having had to explain "computer stuff" to various people over the time
> (often older than me) I found the folder analogy to be easier to
> understand than the telephone directory analogy.

Analogies are a very powerful didactical tool. I do use them all the
time. But that's the first step. To empower people, you need the second
step -- abstraction.

The antipattern I am referring to is to take away this second step.
For bigcorps à la Apple, Microsoft et al this is understandable, since
they want to keep their "customers" dependent on their "services".

From my POV it is, and stays an antipattern. That's why I'm "in" free
software.

Cheers
-- t