Re: how to test disk for bad sector

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 at 10:04, Long Wind <longwind2@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, August 29, 2020, 7:31:03 PM EDT, David <bouncingcats@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Many people have requested:
>> CAN YOU PLEASE STOP TOP-POSTING.
>>
>> This means "please stop writing your reply at the top
>> of the message".

[...]

>> Explained here:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Choosing_the_proper_posting_style
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Trimming_and_reformatting
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#How_much_to_trim

> top-posting is default behavior of yahoo mail.

Same here for gmail. Those defaults are not suitable for a mailing
list, so instead I make an effort and do the polite thing that
everyone else does.

> i don't know why it's inconvenient for some list users.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

> i don't know why it's inconvenient for some list users.

Because it's easier when each message contains all the relevant information.
The writer does the work of editing, so that 100's or more readers don't have
to read the entire back thread to remember the context every time there is a
new message.

> wikipedia.org is blocked in china.

Sorry, I forgot. I pasted below is the text from wikipedia, unfortunately
it is harder to read without the colours and formatting in the original.
I hope it helps you.

==== Choosing the proper posting style ====

The choice between interleaved, top and bottom posting generally
depends on the forum and on the nature of the message. Some forums
(such as personal e-mail) are quite tolerant, in which case the proper
style is dictated by taste and effectiveness. In any case one should
consider whether the reply will be easily read by the intended
recipient(s). Their e-mail interfaces may have different rules for
handling quoted line markers and long lines, so a reply that looks
readable in one's screen may be jumbled and incorrectly colored on
theirs. Blank lines and judicious trimming of the original text may
help avoid ambiguity.

The interleaved reply style can require more work in terms of labeling
lines, but possibly less work in establishing the context of each
reply line. It also keeps the quotes and their replies close to each
other and in logical reading order, and encourages trimming of the
quoted material to the bare minimum. This style makes it easier for
readers to identify the points of the original message that are being
replied to; in particular, whether the reply misunderstood or ignored
some point of the original text. It also gives the sender freedom to
arrange the quoted parts in any order, and to provide a single comment
to quotations from two or more separate messages, even if these did
not include each other.

Top- and bottom-posting are sometimes compared to traditional written
correspondence in that the response is a single continuous text, and
the whole original is appended only to clarify which letter is being
replied to. Customer service e-mail practices, in particular, often
require that all points be addressed in a clear manner without
quoting, while the original e-mail message may be included as an
attachment. Including the whole original message may be necessary also
when a new correspondent is included in an ongoing discussion.[11][12]
Especially in business correspondence, an entire message thread may
need to be forwarded to a third party for handling or discussion. On
the other hand, in environments where the entire discussion is
accessible to new readers (such as newsgroups or online forums), full
inclusion of previous messages is inappropriate; if quoting is
necessary, the interleaved style is probably best.

If the original message is to be quoted in full, for any reason,
bottom-posting is usually the most appropriate format—because it
preserves the logical order of the replies and is consistent with the
Western reading direction from top to bottom.

It is not uncommon during discussions concerning top-posting vs.
bottom-posting to hear quotes from "Netiquette Guidelines (RFC 1855)".
While many RFCs are vetted and approved though a committee process,
some RFCs, such as RFC 1844, are just "Informational" and in reality,
sometimes just personal opinions. (Additional information on
"Informational" RFCs can be found in RFC 2026, under "4.2.2
Informational" and "4.2.3 Procedures for Experimental and
Informational RFCs".) The nature of RFC 1855 should be considered
while reading the following discussion.

According to RFC 1855, a message can begin with an abbreviated
summary; i.e. a post can begin with a paraphrasing instead of quoting
selectively. Specifically, it says:

If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
enough text of the original to give a context. This will make sure
readers understand when they start to read your response. Since
NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the postings from
one host to another, it is possible to see a response to a message
before seeing the original. Giving context helps everyone. But do not
include the entire original!

Interleaved reply combined with top-posting combines the advantages of
both styles. However this also results in some portions of the
original message being quoted twice, which takes up extra space and
may confuse the reader.

In forwarding it is sometimes preferred to include the entire original
message (including all headers) as a MIME attachment, while in
top-posted replies these are often trimmed or replaced by an
attribution line. An untrimmed quoted message is a weaker form of
transcript, as key pieces of meta information are destroyed. (This is
why an ISP's Postmaster will typically insist on a forwarded copy of
any problematic e-mail, rather than a quote.) These forwarded messages
are displayed in the same way as top-posting in some mail clients.
Top-posting is viewed as seriously destructive to mailing-list
digests, where multiple levels of top-posting are difficult to skip.
The worst case would be top-posting while including an entire digest
as the original message.

Some believe that "top-posting" is appropriate for interpersonal
e-mail, but inline posting should always be applied to threaded
discussions such as newsgroups.

This example is occasionally used in mailing lists to mock and
discourage top-posting:[13][14][15]