Re: how to test disk for bad sector

On Saturday, August 29, 2020, 7:31:03 PM EDT, David <bouncingcats@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 at 09:08, Long Wind <longwind2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> where does /var/log/installer/syslog reside?
> on the problem disk?

In the filesystem of the new installation.

> but i've just erased with command suggested by Marco:
> sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 bs=8M status=progress

It appears that you erased it then.

Many people have requested:
CAN YOU PLEASE STOP TOP-POSTING.

This means "please stop writing your reply at the top
of the message".

On a mailing list, it is polite to trim replies for context,
just keep the essential information like I have done above,
so that it is like a conversation, and reply underneath.
This is named "interleaved style".

Explained here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Choosing_the_proper_posting_style
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Trimming_and_reformatting

top-posting is default behavior of yahoo mail. i don't know why it's inconvenient for some list users. wikipedia.org is blocked in china.

i've just installed buster to the problem disk
i have no problem this time
it's still mystery to me why it failed so many times in the past.

Thanks to all that reply and help!