Re: Signal [Was:] Re: Encrypt files on Linux, decrypt on Windows

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 09:29:06 +0300
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Ma, 25 aug 20, 14:17:26, Celejar wrote:
> >
> > I do use Signal on mobile, and I want to like it, but there are a few
> > things about it that just really bother me (these may not be relevant
> > to the OPs situation):
>
> I never claimed it's perfect, just that it's not a "black box". See also

I know - I just took advantage of your comment to take the opportunity
to vent some of my frustration with Signal.

> this comment in one of the discussions you linked that appears to be
> more balanced:
>
> https://github.com/privacytools/privacytools.io/issues/779#issuecomment-471687384

More balanced, perhaps - there is considerable debate in that thread -
but I still side with the naysayers (the following quotes are from
that comment, not you):

> For instance, we showed that users can simply register a random phone

I agree that we shouldn't discourage Signal, and certainly not
encourage the vastly less free alternatives to it. But we also
shouldn't give it a free pass on what I consider to be its somewhat
anti-FLOSS / user hostile attitudes.

> services since the developer buys from Amazon, drinks Coca-Cola, or
> runs Windows 10 isn't about the actual service but about political
> beliefs.

These is a plain silly analogy. I don't care much about what *the
developer* uses in his personal life, and I don't even care that much
about what he uses to develop and host the software. I *do* care about
what he makes (or strongly encourages) users use, such as the Play
Store, Google Accounts, reCAPTCHAS, etc., as mentioned by the OP in
that thread.

[Back to quoting Andrei.]

> As far as I can tell Signal is still miles ahead of WhatsApp, Telegram,

Certainly.

> Snapchat, etc. and it's still challenging to get others to use it[1].

> One might find that with the "perfect" communication tool there is no
> one to communicate with :)

;)

> [1] I basically had to "blackmail" my close family and friends by
> refusing to install WhatsApp on my private phone.

I refuse to install WhatsApp as well - but that just means that I miss
some stuff, and have to trouble people to manually email me other
stuff ...

> Kind regards,

Celejar