Re: Encrypt files on Linux, decrypt on Windows

On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 19:46:13 +0200 (CEST)
local10 <local10@tutanota.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What would be a reasonably secure and simple way to encrypt files on
> Linux and then send them to a  non-technical Windows user so she
> would be able decrypt and read them?

The "zip" command has an "--encrypt" option. As long as your recipient
has WinZip (paid or trialware), you should be able to do the following:

1. Use "zip --encrypt" to create an archive.
2. Send the archive.
3. Send the password in a separate email.

I do this at my day job at least once a week, and haven't had a problem
yet.

The zip(1) man page will provide additional details. Good luck.

--
Matthew Graybosch		https://matthewgraybosch.com
#include <disclaimer.h>		gemini://starbreaker.org