Re: How to make dhclient reread its config? (Debian 10)

Claudio Kuenzler wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 5:56 AM Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru> wrote:
>
> > Dear Colleagues,
> >
> > I've made some changes to /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf, now I need to make
> > dhclient reread it (and apply the changes to /etc/resolv.conf).
> >
> > There seems to be no dhclient service in systemd, and I don't find
> > any info about signalling dhclient with "kill -HUP" etc.
> >
> > "dhclient -x" or "dhclient -r" bring the network down (I've actually
> > confirmed that on a test host), and I loathe to risk it on a remote box.
> > A reboot seems too radical.
> >
> > Any ideas please?
> >

> A simple "dhclient" as root (or "sudo dhclient") without parameters should
> be enough.
> In syslog you should be able to see something like this afterwards:

Not actually. If you look at `ps` output after "sudo dhclient", you'll
notice that you now have 2 dhclients running in the background, the old
one is still there and the new one has been added. And they both will
race to rewrite your /etc/resolv.conf.

Try it out.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN