Re: Encrypt files on Linux, decrypt on Windows

On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 15:43:56 -0500
Greg Marks <gtmarks@gmail.com> wrote:

> One cross-platform encryption method would be to use OpenSSL
> (https://www.openssl.org/).  The Linux user might use the following
> commands.
>
> Encryption:
>   openssl aes-256-cbc -pbkdf2 -iter 1000000 -in plaintext.txt -out
> ciphertext.txt Decryption:
>   openssl aes-256-cbc -pbkdf2 -iter 1000000 -d -in ciphertext.txt
> -out plaintext.txt
>
> I think the two commands will be the same on a Windows machine.
> Assuming both sides have agreed on a decent password, this should be
> very secure.  The main difficulty for a non-technical Windows user
> would probably be installing OpenSSL; the easiest way might be via a
> trusted third-party binary distribution.
>
> I'm assuming the OP is content with a symmetric cipher (he or she
> didn't say).

I think the whole thread hinges on the OP not telling us what threats
the encryption should protect against: is he trying to hide something
from the FBI/MI5/Mossad or from his nosy big sister? If the latter, a
passworded zip file is probably sufficient, and all currently supported
versions of Windows do zip natively.

--
Joe