Re: right after installation errors reported during booting (dmesg) ...

On 2020-08-22 at 09:38, Albretch Mueller wrote:

> On 8/21/20, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> Wow. That's some dense, opaque code.
>
> my only intention was to get something done as quickly as possible.
> I didn't even know that people cared about proper writing of bash
> script. Is there such a thing? Do people take it seriously?

It's more that I'm not sure how you manage to write or read that quickly
or easily. I could *do* it, on the read side at least, but it would take
work; it's not anything close to readable.

If it works for you, then it's not a fatal defect by any means, but it
does tend to get in the way when sharing code with others (as here).

That said, yes, I do tend to use longer (descriptive, not abbreviated)
variable names and include moderately extensive comments in my shell
scripts, just as in my other code. I find that it helps greatly in
understanding what I've written, both at the time and when revisiting it
later.

--
   The Wanderer