Re: In network bonding second nic (eth1) is not pingable while first one (eth0) is always pingable"

Lee wrote:

> Or you can just configure the wired ethernet connection to have a
> lower (better) routing metric than the wireless connection.  That way
> the machine always uses the wired connection if it's up and uses the
> wireless connection when the wired connection is down.
>
> There's probably a nice and easy way to do that by changing
> /etc/network/something .. I never figured out how to do it that way &
> used the 'Advanced Network Configuration' gui tool to set the wired
> connection 'Connect automatically with priority' to -999
>
> With the ethernet cable connected to the laptop, 'ip route' shows wls1
> with a metric of 600 and enp1s0 with a metric of 100.
> With the ethernet cable disconnected the only thing that 'ip route'
> shows is wls1.
> Yay! automatic failover + automatic selection of the faster interface
> when it's up :-)

This will generally work, but it does have a drawback: you have
two different IPs, so when a change happens, all your existing
connections will drop and new inbound connections will only work
on the NIC that's up.

You'll also need to replicate firewall rules on each NIC.

-dsr-