Re: Linux-Fan's bad signatures

Teemu Likonen writes:

* 2020-08-22 00:17:19+02, Linux-Fan wrote:

> The copy I receive from the list does not verify correctly here,
> either.

The content between MIME separator lines are signed. The separators
itself are not part of the signature and also the last empty line is not
part of the signature.

[...]

So if the signature is in "signature.asc" and the content between the
separator lines are in file "content.txt" this command should verify it:

    gpg --verify signature.asc content.txt

It seems that the signatures are made with "gpg --textmode" so that it
doesn't matter if the content has LF or CR + LF newlines.

Your "sent" and "received" messages even have different MIME part
headers and encoding. At least those things change after the signature
is made. See the attached "diff -u" output. But I can't verify any of
your messages even if I manually edit the MIME parts and try different
things.

Thank you for sharing this analysis. I was trying to figure it out but thought
the signature was only over the text and not over the headers.

I cannot get it to verify with manual editing, either. Yet somehow, my mail
client's `mimegpg` command can do it, given the unmangled .eml file -- the one
I had sent to the list also got changed during the transfer.
Attached is a compressed version in the hope that it will come across
without being changed. The file's sha256sum should be as follows:

04076b5cc68367f1bfda394ba32416891ffa1800b8f7214a04cb2fc4efa21004  sent.eml
ac2a25bc54417db2b62d883b9ef31a93d25e9afc113cd9f9d555d87d2720baa8  sent.eml.xz

The source code is available, I will just need to find some time to analyze
what it does exactly. Maybe I should ask on the e-mail client's maling list,
too...

Thanks
Linux-Fan