[OT] Linux-Fan's bad signatures (Re: Encrypt files on Linux, decrypt on Windows)

Teemu Likonen writes:

* 2020-08-21 20:24:29+02, Linux-Fan wrote:

> GPG should also run on Windows, but is a little harder to use IMHO.

GnuPG it is pretty hard everywhere. Your recent signatures are reported
as "bad" (at least by Notmuch and Mutt). The signed data (message)
doesn't match with the signature.

[...]

The copy I receive from the list does not verify correctly here, either.
It seems somewhere along the path the e-mails content is actually mangled.
-- some additional newlines are introduced compared to my local copy from
the "Sent" folder which verifies correctly.

Attached are `sent.txt` (and `sent.eml`) and `received.txt` -- the very same
e-mail as seen in my Sent folder and Inbox respectively... Interestingly, if
I split out the signatures and message contents, I get bad signature for
both variatns despite the fact that the e-mail client can somehow verify the
sent e-mail...

???
Linux-Fan
--=_pte5-5038-1598034269-0003

local10 writes:

> Hi,
>
> What would be a reasonably secure and simple way to encrypt files on Linux
> and then send them to a  non-technical Windows user so she would be able
> decrypt and read them?
>
> Any ideas? Thanks

Consider 7-Zip from Debian package p7zip-full and available for Windows
syswtems: https://www.7-zip.org/

Encrypt on Linux:
$ 7z a -ptestwort -mhe=on secret.7z secret.txt

Decrypt on Windows: Double-Click or use commandline:
% 7z x -o. secret.7z

Alternatively, you could also use aescrypt
(https://www.aescrypt.com/). It is not in Debian but supports a variety of
operating systems including Linux and Windows. GPG should also run on
Windows, but is a little harder to use IMHO.

HTH
Linux-Fan

--=_pte5-5038-1598034269-0003

--=_pte5-5038-1598034269-0003--
--=_pte5-5038-1598034269-0003

local10 writes:

> Hi,
>
> What would be a reasonably secure and simple way to encrypt files on Lin=
ux
> and then send them to a  non-technical Windows user so she would be able
> decrypt and read them?
>
> Any ideas? Thanks

Consider 7-Zip from Debian package p7zip-full and available for Windows
syswtems: https://www.7-zip.org/

Encrypt on Linux:
$ 7z a -ptestwort -mhe=3Don secret.7z secret.txt

Decrypt on Windows: Double-Click or use commandline:
% 7z x -o. secret.7z

Alternatively, you could also use aescrypt
(https://www.aescrypt.com/). It is not in Debian but supports a variety of
operating systems including Linux and Windows. GPG should also run on
Windows, but is a little harder to use IMHO.

HTH
Linux-Fan

--=_pte5-5038-1598034269-0003

--=_pte5-5038-1598034269-0003--