Re: Encrypt files on Linux, decrypt on Windows

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 02:42:23PM -0400, Matthew Graybosch wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 19:46:13 +0200 (CEST)
> local10 <local10@tutanota.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > What would be a reasonably secure and simple way to encrypt files on
> > Linux and then send them to a  non-technical Windows user so she
> > would be able decrypt and read them?
>
> The "zip" command has an "--encrypt" option. As long as your recipient
> has WinZip (paid or trialware), you should be able to do the following:

If you are somewhat serious about security, you better don't use this:

  "ZIP supports a simple password-based symmetric encryption
   system generally known as ZipCrypto. It is documented in
   the ZIP specification, and known to be seriously flawed." [1]

7z is reportedly better (and it does compress better, too). But I concur
with the others: GnuPG is the gold standard here.

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_(file_format)#Encryption
 - t