Re: Disks renamed after update to 'testing'...?

"Rick Thomas" <rick.thomas@pobox.com> writes:

> The /dev/sdx names for devices have been unpredictable for quite a
> while.  Which one is sda and which sdb will depend on things like
> timing -- which one gets recognized by the kernel first.
>
> The best solution is to either use UUID or LABEL when you fsck
> and/or mount the device.

IMO the best solution is to use LVM.  I use it since 2001 on most
drives and I don't have partitions.  And I prefer to use device names
over using the *UUID or *LABEL prefixes.  With LVM, device names are
predictable /dev/mapper/<vg-name>-<lv-name> with symlinks
/dev/<vg-name>/<lv-name>.

urs