Re: Disks renamed after update to 'testing'...?

On 2020-08-18 11:27, Urs Thuermann wrote:
"Rick Thomas" <rick.thomas@pobox.com> writes:

The /dev/sdx names for devices have been unpredictable for quite a
while.  Which one is sda and which sdb will depend on things like
timing -- which one gets recognized by the kernel first.

The best solution is to either use UUID or LABEL when you fsck
and/or mount the device.

IMO the best solution is to use LVM.  I use it since 2001 on most
drives and I don't have partitions.  And I prefer to use device names
over using the *UUID or *LABEL prefixes.  With LVM, device names are
predictable /dev/mapper/<vg-name>-<lv-name> with symlinks
/dev/<vg-name>/<lv-name>.

AIUI the OP was mounting an (external?) drive partition for use as a destination for backups. Prior to upgrading to Testing, the root partition was /dev/sda1 (no LVM?) and the backup partition was /dev/sdb1 (no LVM?). After upgrading to Testing, the root partition is /dev/sdb1 and the backup partition device node is unknown. The OP was confused by the changed root partition device node.

Please describe how LVM would help in this situation.

David