Re: Core Q9650 in a case with 5 hard drives

On 2020-08-17 13:30, James Allsopp wrote:
Hi,
I'm using an old Core 2 processor in a case with 5 hard drives, one of
which is an SSD.  It's a server but doesn't get hit particularly hard, so
I'm wondering what the options are to try and conserve power with it as
it's generating rather a lot of heat. I've looked at powertop, but there
didn't seem to be a huge amount there.The processor only scales between 2
and 3Ghz with an ondemand governor. I upgraded the processor from a E8460
and doubled the ram to 8GB, with the same hard drives and this was when I
noticed the temperature increase.

I assume you verified that the motherboard is rated for the upgraded CPU, the CPU heat sink/ fan is rated for the upgraded CPU, you used good (silver) thermal compound, the power supply is rated for the connected load, the internal cables are bundled/ routed to keep air pathways clear, and you vacuumed the inside of the case, heat sinks, fans, etc.?

I do not see a Core 2 "E8460" processor on the Intel web site. The Core 2 Duo E8400 has a TDP of 65 W [1].

The Core 2 Quad Q9650 is 95 W [2]. So, 30 W more. The motherboard voltage regulators must supply the increased load at whatever efficiency they have and the PSU must supply both increases and whatever efficient it has.

DDR modules are ~3 W each [3]. Two more would add 6 W. Again, motherboard and PSU.

Assuming a "regular motherboard" and 80% efficient PSU, here is a power estimate for the original configuration [3]:

processor			 65 W

2 @ DDR3 memory			  6 W

		CPU & memory	 71 W

motherboard		 	 40 W

no video card			  0 W

1 @ SSD				  3 W

4 @ HDD				 32 W

2 @ fans			  4 W

			usage	150 W

80 Plus PSU			 38 W

			total	188 W

And, for the upgraded configuration (scaling up motherboard consumption in direct proportion to CPU and memory consumption):

processor			 95 W

4 @ DDR3 memory			 12 W

		CPU & memory	107 W

motherboard		 	 60 W

no video card			  0 W

1 @ SSD				  3 W

4 @ HDD				 32 W

1 @ fans			  4 W

			usage	206 W

80 Plus PSU			 52 W

			total	258 W

So, a total power increase of 70 W, or 38%.

What temperature sensor readings have you observed before and after the upgrade?

Assuming the machine is intended to run 24x7, ideas to reduce power consumption:

1. Install the package 'cpufrequtils', which provides cpufreq-info(1) and and cpufreq-set(1). (It sounds like you already have done this?) To see what governors are available:

	# cpufreq-info -c 0

Pick a governor that can lower the CPU frequency -- for example on my system, it is 'powersave':

	# cpufreq-set -g powersave

2.  Set the CPU frequency upper limit manually:

	# cpufreq-set -u 2000000

3. Tune system and/or daemons not to periodically access the drives. This implies determining what processes periodically access the drives and determining if they offer drive access options.

4. Mount file systems with the option 'relatime' or 'noatime'. This implies determining what processes use what file systems, and whether or not they can tolerate atime settings. See fstab(5) and mount(8).

5. Tune the drives to enter power saving mode when not in use. Again, verify that processes can tolerate those settings. See hdparm(8).

6. Tune the motherboard firmware to use fewer CPU cores, to lower the CPU/ memory frequency, etc.. Even if you go back to 2 cores, the Q9650 has twice the cache of the E8400 and should perform better at the same frequency.

David

[1] https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/33910/intel-core-2-d

[2] https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/35428/intel-core-2-quad-processor-q9650-12m-cache-3-00-ghz-1333-mhz-fsb.html

[3] http://www.buildcomputers.net/power-consumption-of-pc-components.html