Re: Core Q9650 in a case with 5 hard drives

James Allsopp wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using an old Core 2 processor in a case with 5 hard drives, one of
> which is an SSD.  It's a server but doesn't get hit particularly hard, so
> I'm wondering what the options are to try and conserve power with it as
> it's generating rather a lot of heat. I've looked at powertop, but there
> didn't seem to be a huge amount there.The processor only scales between 2
> and 3Ghz with an ondemand governor. I upgraded the processor from a E8460
> and doubled the ram to 8GB, with the same hard drives and this was when I
> noticed the temperature increase.

The E8400 is a 2 core, 2 thread 65W CPU with a top speed of
3GHz. It came out in 2008.

An AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (4 cores, 8 threads) is $150; a low-end motherboard
is $70; 16GB of RAM is $100.

The resulting machine would be more than twice as fast on
single-thread tasks, and could handle four times as many
processes at that speed. Officially it would draw the same 65
watts, but AMD's calculation is for the maximum draw over a long
period of time whereas Intel's calculation is for the normal
draw over a long period of time; you should expect the AMD to
run cooler and draw less power for the same workload.

In the meantime: make sure the system is free of dust; make sure
that fans are running; make sure that the airflow makes sense to
bring air in on one side, across the CPU and RAM, and out on the
other side.

-dsr-