Fwd: Core Q9650 in a case with 5 hard drives

This also to the mailing list - someone else may find it useful as a starting point.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Andrew Cater <amacater@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 8:37 PM
Subject: Re: Core Q9650 in a case with 5 hard drives
To: James Allsopp <jamesaallsopp@googlemail.com>

Put some cheap slow running quiet fans in there? Do you need 5 hard drives? Check whether you have BIOS settings that you can tweak.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 8:31 PM James Allsopp <jamesaallsopp@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi,
I'm using an old Core 2 processor in a case with 5 hard drives, one of which is an SSD.  It's a server but doesn't get hit particularly hard, so I'm wondering what the options are to try and conserve power with it as it's generating rather a lot of heat. I've looked at powertop, but there didn't seem to be a huge amount there.The processor only scales between 2 and 3Ghz with an ondemand governor. I upgraded the processor from a E8460 and doubled the ram to 8GB, with the same hard drives and this was when I noticed the temperature increase.

Thanks