Re: Lenovo S205 boot

Aha - it might be one of the strange generation of machines (way back) that had 32 bit UEFI/BIOS and a 64 bit capable Atom processor - maybe back as far as the Sandy Bridge series ... a long time ago anyway. Use, specifically, the Debian i386/amd64 multiarch netboot to install this and it works and installs the 32 bit Grub [BIOS] /Grub2 [UEFI] and 64 bit userland.

Have done this once on an old Toshiba - this was the only way to get this machine to boot.

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 5:23 PM Russell L. Harris <russell@rlharris.org> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 05:38:52PM +0200, Sven Hoexter wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 04, 2020 at 05:52:10PM +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:
>If going back to i386 is an option for you, the department of
>workarounds has an option.

Again, at this point, my only hope for the machine (other than to toss
it in the dumpster) is for it to provide a reasonable environment for
composition when away from home.

For me, composition requires emacs, LaTeX or TeXLive, xdvi, and
(hopefully) a dictionary, together with a means such as ssh or rsync
to transfer documents to the desktop machine when I arrive back home.
The only other necessity is the ability to use the "Dvorak Classic"
keymap (which differs from the Dvorak ANSI map offered by the
installer).

As to the touchpad, I find a touchpad awkward at best; it is better to
pack along a USB mouse.

Years ago my first attempt to install Debian overwrote the W$7
installation; otherwise, I might market the machine to a Window$ user.

RLH