Re: Lenovo S205 boot

On Tue, Aug 04, 2020 at 05:52:10PM +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2020 at 07:04:13PM +0200, Sven Hoexter wrote:
> > so far I can only confirm that the grub installation fails with
> > both stable and testing. It seems something is at odds with writing
> > the efivars. I did not yet get around to try again if I can switch
> > the installation back to using grub-legacy somehow.
>
> I would not mind going back to Wheezy, if necessary.

If going back to i386 is an option for you, the department of
workarounds has an option.

I could install with the i386 non-free bullseye iso from
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/bullseye_di_alpha2/i386/iso-cd/

Basically that forces a BIOS mode installation, but be aware
grub2 also in BIOS mode does not boot on this device.

So what I did was just before the installer asks for your
confirmation to reboot I switched to the shell on tty and did
roughly the following:
mount -o bind /sys /target/sys
mount -o bind /dev /target/dev
mount -o bind /proc /target/proc
chroot /target /bin/bash
apt install grub-legacy
dpkg --purge grub-pc grub-pc-bin grub2-common
update-grub
grub-install /dev/sda

exit & reboot.
That basically replaces the known to not work grub2 with the old
grub which already worked in the past.

Did not yet move on from here. So in my bug that is so far two
bugs:
a) the touchpad does not work in the graphical installer
b) grub2 does not work in EFI and BIOS mode

You can probably afterwards also install an amd64 kernel image so
you have a i386 userland with at least a 64bit kernel running.

For the sake of random testing I also tried Ubuntu 20.04 and Fedora 32 and
in both cases the grub2 efi installation fails as well. Quite sure
that is a general issue between the UEFI on this device and grub2 which
for some unknown reason worked or was workaround in the old grub.

Not sure if that helps you to move on in any direction with this
device.

Sven