Re: Homebuilt NAS Advice

> 	No, I am talking about "Extra space taken, extra power used 24/7".
> 	An external device just does not use that much power

It can easily end up consuming about as much power as my BananaPi, so it
risks doubling the power consumption.

> 	or take a lot of space.

I suspect my wife would disagree.

>>> 	On the Banana Pi it can.
>> I'm not sure what makes you think so.  In terms of bandwidth USB2 limits
> 	With some exceptions, the Pi boards use micro SD cards.  They are
> 	slower than an external drive.  I have confirmed that.

I'm talking about SSD-over-SATA, not SD cards.

I specifically chose boards using the A20 CPU (like the BananaPi)
because that SoC comes with a real SATA port (tho its driver was limited
to about 50MB/s write speed for some reason until a fairly recent kernel
patch).

> 	This thread is about a NAS, remember?  By definition it is
> 	a repository of data.

Fair enough.  We drifted to laptops and such, but indeed the subject
was NAS.  So yes, I have data there (mostly music/photos/videos, and backups)

>>> 	You lost me.  Why log out?
>> In my experience unplugging a USB disk while it's mounted is a recipe
>> for hangs and replugging it will not always bring the partition back to life.
> 	Why do that?  Boot the machine with the array attached.

Booting is something I do very rarely.

>>> 	Well, OK.  How much is down-time worth?
>> What down time?
>> You mean the time to walk over and grab my hot spare laptop?
> 	Which does not have the information on the failed laptop.

As mentioned at the beginning of the thread, the vast majority of the
files on are regularly pushed to a Git server or are under IMAP, so
anything older than a couple of hours (give or take) will be available
to the hot spare.

> 	If that information is at all important, it constitutes downtime
> 	to recover it. For a NAS, that can be pretty big.

The files on my servers change even much more slowly, so I sync the two
servers manually (by running an `rsync` script) whenever I put important
new info on them (i.e. new music/photos/videos).

>> Even more so when that downtime only happens once every 10 years or so
>> (my rate so far is a bit lower than that, but let's assume that a drive
>> of mine will fail tomorrow).
> 	I had to deal with six failed drives last month.

I've had to deal with 2 failed drives over my lifetime so far ;-)

>> No, I'm just saying that RAID will save me from this trouble once every
>> 10 years, but other things will still cause me to lose some of my work
>> several times a year, so the gain of RAID is a drop in the ocean.
> 	All I can say as a 40 year veteran in this industry is that is not
> 	my experience.

That's because your use cases are very different from mine (I don't
think the 5 years less than you of "veteranism" is the deciding factor).

>> As I said, downtime is minimal because I have other machines I can use
>> "on the spot".
> 	Again, not with the data from the failed system.

The only really valuable data that I produce is code, and when I lose the
last N hours of code I wrote, it takes me much less than N hours to
reproduce it.  And drive failure is but one reason why I sometimes lose code.

> 	Yet again, missing any data on the old machine.  If that data is not
> 	important, then fine, although it begs the question, "Why have a
> computer at all?"  If a backup exists, then the data can be recovered onto
> the new system, but that takes *TIME*.  Any data not on a backup must be
> manually recovered by reproducing the original work, and that can really
> take *TIME*.  In my case, sometimes months.  I am talking about a real-world
> scenario, here, which actually happened, not a hypothetical.  I am also
> talking about five digits in terms of the cost.

I've been a sysadmin, and have used RAID then (there wasn't even
a question of using RAID or not).  But different use-cases call for
different choices.

>> Yes, I agree that RAID can be handy in some contexts.
> 	No, it is *ESSENTIAL* whenever time and data are important.

Redundancy is essential, yes.  RAID is one way to get redundancy.
Not the only one.

        Stefan