Re: Homebuilt NAS Advice

>> I don't argue about your approach, it is your design, your servers, but in
>> your case I would use definitely deduplication.
> 	And save what?  About 0.002%.

I don't know if it's important for your use case (probably not), but in
backups, deduplication is (mostly) not about finding common data between
the different files you backup, but to find common data between
different backups, thus allowing the backup tool to get rid of the
distinction between a full backup and an incremental backup: all backups
are "like full" but cost "like incremental".

So deduplication doesn't really save disk space, instead it saves
you from having to worry about tradeoffs between making full backups and
making incremental backups.  AFAICT you already have made those
decisions long ago, so saving you the worry is probably not of much
value to you.

        Stefan