Atheros wifi problem

Following the recent discussion about Atheros AR9271 wifi no longer working.

After the most recent kernel update to 5.7.10-1 (2020-07-26), my AR9271 wifi dongle is recognised again, but there is now a worse problem: if I use the dongle, the box gradually freezes over the course of around 5 to 20 minutes, starting with network manager. If I unplug the dongle before the freeze spreads, the box unfreezes, else it requires a power cycle to revive it.

The internal wifi still works normally.

The only obvious error message relates to iwl-debug-yoyo.bin not being found.

Can anyone confirm that ath9k_htc was fixed from kernel 5.7.9? The kernel mailing list is ambiguous about whether the fix would be in 5.7.11 or whether it appeared in 5.7.9.

And could this unpleasant bug be some kind of buffer overflow?

--
Hilary