Re: Atheros wifi problem

On 2020-08-05 18:01 +0100, Hilary Snaden wrote:

> Following the recent discussion about Atheros AR9271 wifi no longer working.
>
> After the most recent kernel update to 5.7.10-1 (2020-07-26), my
> AR9271 wifi dongle is recognised again, but there is now a worse
> problem: if I use the dongle, the box gradually freezes over the
> course of around 5 to 20 minutes, starting with network manager. If I
> unplug the dongle before the freeze spreads, the box unfreezes, else
> it requires a power cycle to revive it.
>
> The internal wifi still works normally.
>
> The only obvious error message relates to iwl-debug-yoyo.bin not being
> found.
>
> Can anyone confirm that ath9k_htc was fixed from kernel 5.7.9? The
> kernel mailing list is ambiguous about whether the fix would be in
> 5.7.11 or whether it appeared in 5.7.9.

I don't know anything about ath9k_htc, but the latest fixes for it
appeared in 5.7.11 ("ath9k: Fix general protection fault in
ath9k_hif_usb_rx_cb"[1] and "ath9k: Fix regression with Atheros
9271"[2]), so they are not in Debian yet.

Cheers,
       Sven

1. https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=linux-5.7.y&id=b43063ff55858f73cbd44fc4496b3489c8bdfba4
2. https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=linux-5.7.y&id=dcb80ffe3825fb551a293491424695198b2e397d