Re: [OT] Remote SSH (dynamic IP) without third-party server

Title: -

Regarding the following, written by "tomas@tuxteam.de" on 2020-08-01 at 14:33 Uhr +0200:

Both Tox and Jami use a technology called distributed hash tables to > map names to numbers, and the technology would be suitable for the > OP's needs, but I don't know of any implementation for SSH.

DHTs are nice and cool, but they don't solve the problem of "where is that box I want to talk to", i.e. its IP address.

What they /do/ is to keep this "resolution table" somewhere out there (think DNS, but not hierarchical, rather "randomly" shuffled).

Not entirely sure what your response adds, so let me just suggest a Tor hidden service to the OP instead of continuing this.

Multicast is cute but wouldn't actually solve the problem; instead of an entity mapping names to endpoint addresses, you now need an entity to map names to multicast groups, and manage the namespace.

--
.''`. martin f. krafft @martinkrafft
: :' : proud Debian developer

now I lay me back to sleep.