Re: [OT] Remote SSH (dynamic IP) without third-party server

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 11:03:07PM -0300, riveravaldez wrote:
> Is this possible?
>
> Hi, to clarify: I would like to connect to a remote home-machine
> (dynamic IP) through SSH session but without using a third-party
> server (free or paid), just with software running in both machines.

That sounds like (a) magic or (b) UDP multicast, which, if you are
an El Cheapo ISP customer seems to reduce to (a).

> Tox and Jami protocols seem to be able to stablish a quick p2p
> connection in a decentralized fashion (without the need of a central
> server)

Hm. For Tox I can't say very much (besides that they do have a Client
and a Core components, which seems to suggest that you need some
well-known instance out there where the cliens do a rendez-vous.

Jami uses SIP, and that implies there is some "SIP routing machinery"
(i.e. at least one well-known address) out there to coordinate [1].

The data (voice and stuff) is exchanged peer-to-peer, but to "meet",
they do need something "out there" with a known address.

For SIP, perhaps this is part of your connectivity provider, if you
happen to pay for phone and internet to the same people. Or perhaps
not.

Perhaps the multicast deployment strory becomes brighter with IPv6,
that day around the corner when Unicorns Roam the World. Perhaps
not, because that would deprive ISPs of a chance to extract yet
another penny from you, their customer.

TL;DR: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Cheers

[1] This being inherited from telephony, it has some baroque touch
   to it:
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Initiation_Protocol#Network_elements

 - t