Re: [OT] Remote SSH (dynamic IP) without third-party server

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 23:03:07 -0300
riveravaldez <riveravaldezmail@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this possible?
>
> Hi, to clarify: I would like to connect to a remote home-machine
> (dynamic IP) through SSH session but without using a third-party
> server (free or paid), just with software running in both machines.
>
> Tox and Jami protocols seem to be able to stablish a quick p2p
> connection in a decentralized fashion (without the need of a central
> server) and I understand that this means that both protocols allow
> each client to find the other one, that is, to know their present IPs
> at all time, no matter how dynamic they are. Is this correct?

Port scanning the entire Internet? Are you sure? There's no other way
for a machine to find another, somewhere in the world, without knowing
its IP address in advance. It will almost certainly turn out that these
protocols rely on machines registering with their servers each time
they are powered up after being given a new dynamic address.

> If so, would be possible to use a similar mechanism to obtain at any
> moment the counterpart's IP and then make a SSH login using such
> information?
>
> If there's any other simpler way (that doesn't imply the use of any
> third party) please let me know, I could use anything that works.

I would have thought that the only practical way would be to find the
IP range your home machine is in and have the remote machine scan it to
find your home machine, hoping that it's a small block. And hope that
your ISP's firewall doesn't take exception to that and block you.
Probably best to use another port than 22 for this.

Better still is, as David suggested, get a fixed IP address for your
home connection, but many ISPs do not offer this option, even for
'business' accounts.

And you are using keys for ssh, and not passwords, aren't you?

--
Joe