Re: Capture screen with mencoder

surely your old hardware isn't a problem
you can capture desktop as you can capture webcam

i've just capture desktop plus audio with ffmpeg
i use pulse audio because it seems easy to use than alsa
On Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 8:32:04 AM EDT, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:

Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> writes:

> Rodolfo Medina (12020-07-29):
>> Thanks...  The reason why I wanted to use mencoder instead of ffmpeg is that
>> with the latter, when I tried to capture webcam and audio together,
>> especially with my old laptop (but partially also with my new desktop pc),
>> I've been banged against `a sea of troubles': sync problems, video freezing,
>> video stuttering, background noise, output interrupted... whereas with
>> mencoder and the command I posted above everything went fine at first try.
>> So that, with desktop capture, I had to give up the idea of recording video
>> and audio together and am recording them separately...
>
> AFAIK, people manage to use ffmpeg for that. I strongly suggest you try
> to get this working rather than relying on a project in vegetative
> state. Help can be fond on the ffmpeg-user mailing-list, but you will
> need to give much more details than you did here.

No help came from ffmpeg mailing list apart from user Leonardo who helped me
privately but, in the end, with my 10 years old netbook, I had to give up...
maybe I was asking too much.  Mencoder instead worked immediately like a charm.

Thanks,

Rodolfo