Unable to boot into the Gnome desktop after installing Debian Buster 10.4

I chose the option Expert Install when I installed Debian Buster.

I did not install any desktop environment, print server or the standard system utilities offered during installation.

After successfully installing the OS, I rebooted into tty2 and installed the packages named below:

xorg gnome-core gnome-tweak-tool synaptic gedit gdebi file-roller

I did not want a bloated Gnome desktop environment and instead opted for a minimal install of it.

Next I rebooted the OS and there was a list of messages flashing quickly on my screen. All of them were prefixed with [OK] with the word OK in bright green. I assumed there were no errors.

However instead of booting into the Gnome desktop, all I got is a white cursor blinking in the top left hand corner of my screen whose background is black.

I appreciate any help you could give to have the Gnome desktop working.

Useful information

1. Before installing Debian, Secure Boot is enabled in the BIOS.
2. The machine is not connected to the internet during installation.