Re: Are the assigned capacities sufficient for my setup?

On Wed Jul 29 08:39:26 2020 Andrew Cater <amacater@gmail.com> wrote:

> You _can_ use guided partitioning as a guide. Use Windows to
> reduce the amount of space it takes on the disk. Use Windows
> tools to format the second half of the disk, or whatever to vfat.

Note that with NTFS you can't shrink the Windows partition to less
than half its size.  NTFS creates a Master File Table smack in the
middle of the partition, and it's immovable.  Well, generally -
if you go to https://www.raxco.com you'll find a utility called
PerfectDisk, which with minor handwaving and a reboot or two can
move the MFT.  You can download a demo that will work long enough
to do the job.  Repeat as necessary; I shrank the NTFS partition
on my formerly Windows-only laptop from 250GB down to 45GB.

As for partition sizing, I set up my machines with three partitions:
/, /home, and swap.  If you're going to be installing lots of software
on your machine (especially games), I'd recommend setting aside 20 or
30 gigabytes for /, since /usr can get pretty large.  I learned this
the hard way after getting caught behind the 8-ball after a kernel
upgrade.  Fortunately, gparted came to the rescue, allowing me to
shave 10GB off /home and give it to /.  I use the old rule of thumb
of twice memory size for swap, and give what's left to /home.

You definitely want /home in its own partition - it makes life
much easier when doing upgrades, since you can completely wipe
out / while leaving /home intact.  (Needless to say, though, I
back up /home regularly, plus /etc and /usr for good measure.)

BTW please don't top-post.  Not all of us are Jeopardy fans.

--
/~\  Charlie Gibbs                  |  Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ /  <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid>      |  Apple is a cult.