Re: Unable to boot into the Gnome desktop after installing Debian Buster 10.4

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 07:36:06PM +0000, gajuph4pre@yahoo.com wrote:
> I chose the option Expert Install when I installed Debian Buster.
>
> I did not install any desktop environment, print server or the standard system utilities offered during installation.
>
> After successfully installing the OS, I rebooted into tty2 and installed the packages named below:
>
> xorg gnome-core gnome-tweak-tool synaptic gedit gdebi file-roller
>
> I did not want a bloated Gnome desktop environment and instead opted for a minimal install of it.
>
> Next I rebooted the OS and there was a list of messages flashing quickly on my screen. All of them were prefixed with [OK] with the word OK in bright green. I assumed there were no errors.
>
> However instead of booting into the Gnome desktop, all I got is a white cursor blinking in the top left hand corner of my screen whose background is black.
>
> I appreciate any help you could give to have the Gnome desktop working.
>
> Useful information
>
> 1. Before installing Debian, Secure Boot is enabled in the BIOS.
> 2. The machine is not connected to the internet during installation.

Oh jeeez,
somebody again who thinks he is so much smarter than the maintainers packaging a decent OS
for you for free. But not able to read enough documentation to actually pull it off.

Install the gnome desktop enviroment. Yes YOU WANT THAT!

-H

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com