Re: About /var/log/dpgk.log

On 2020-07-27 at 19:02, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
>> On 2020-07-27 at 10:37, The Wanderer wrote:
>>
>>> What you want to do instead is to run this exact latter command, and
>>> pass the output of that into the 'aptitude purge' command.
>>
>>> Try:
>>>
>>> $ aptitude purge $(grep "2020-07-23.*.install " /var/log/dpkg.log | awk
>>> '{ print $4 }' | tr '\n' ' ')
>>>
>>> and see what you get.
>>
>> Turns out that the 'tr' part can be dropped as well; the subshell
>> redirection is smart enough for the newlines to be processed correctly.
>
> All right, but with the `tr' part then it's easier to copy and paste the output
> and pass it as argument to `# aptitude purge'...

Quite true, and that's what I thought at first you were doing, until you
gave the command line with incorrect syntax that I responded to earlier.

The advantage of using a subshell is that you don't need to
copy-and-paste the output, because it gets put into the right place
automatically. As long as there's no special shell quoting that has to
be handled, everything Just Works.

--
   The Wanderer