Re: About /var/log/dpgk.log

On 2020-07-25 at 16:02, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 07:47:01PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
>> Hi all...
>>
>> Please what do those occurrences of `<none>' mean in /var/log/dpgk.log just on
>> the right next to some (and some not) of packages names?
>
> You mean like this:
>
>   2019-10-18 17:09:25 install gcc-8-base:amd64 <none> 8.3.0-6
>
> I don't know for sure, But grepping around in my logs shows a version
> number in that place, when there's no '<none>'. So my hunch would be
> that it is the prior installed version (when there was one) or <none>
> when there was --uh-- none.

On mine, I also note that the lines with <none> in column 5 have
'install' in column 3, whereas the ones with a version number in column
5 in that column have 'upgrade' in column 3. This seems to back up that
interpretation.

My guess would be that this is done just to keep the number of columns
per line equal between the install and upgrade cases, most likely
because it makes translating this into a table by columns easier.

I haven't checked the source, and offhand don't know of any obvious
non-source documentation to check, however.

--
   The Wanderer