Re: About /var/log/dpgk.log

On 2020-07-27 at 08:53, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
>> On 2020-07-27 at 08:15, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

>>> Thanks to you all.  Then, e.g.,
>>>
>>> 2020-07-23 08:02:37 install liblilv-0-0:i386 <none> 0.24.2~dfsg0-2
>>>
>>> means that liblilv-0-0 has been installed or not on 2020-07-23?  From
>>> dpkg manpage, --log option, as I understand, the field with `<none>'
>>> should correspond to the installed version, so `<none>' seems to
>>> state that it is not installed at all...?  If so, what does the
>>> `install' action do there...?
>>
>> That log message means that at 08:02:37 on July 23rd, 2020, the computer
>> went from not having any i386-architecture version of liblilv-0-0
>> installed at all to having version 0.24.2~dfsg0-2 installed.
>>
>> The "<none>" is the version which was installed *before* dpkg took
>> action. The field after that is the version which was installed *after*
>> dpkg took action. (Or maybe "was to be"; I don't know what gets logged
>> in the case where the install fails, et cetera.)
>
> Clear now, thanks...
>
> Now, when I try to remove liblilv-0-0, Debian warns me that audacity depends on
> it:
>
> # aptitude purge liblilv-0-0
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   liblilv-0-0{p}
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 192 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 132 kB will be freed.
>  audacity : Depends: liblilv-0-0 (>= 0.16.0~dfsg0) but it is not going to be
>  installed
>

> But audacity is installed on my Debian box since months...  How can it depend
> on a package installed a few days ago...?

My guess would be that this is about architecture differences.

What the install line from above indicates was installed on the 23rd is
the i386 version of liblilv-0-0. I suspect that the amd64 version was
already installed. The amd64 version of audacity depends on the amd64
version of this library, and the i386 version of audacity almost
certainly depends on the i386 version of this library.

Try

# aptitude purge liblilv-0-0:i386

and see what that gives you.

--