Re: FOSS equivalents of *OLD* database and spreadsheet tools?

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 11:06:51 +0100
mick crane <mick.crane@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2020-07-26 08:54, Joe wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 14:55:35 -0700
> > David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
> >

> >> It's been a while, but Linux-Apache-MySQL-Perl worked for me back
> >> in the day:
> >>
> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamp_stack
> >
> > I have a couple of early web applications written in Perl, but then
> > I found PHP. There's still no SQL user interface RAD tool like
> > Access, which uses SQL internally and externally, and has a lot of
> > database design knowledge built into it.
>
> I'm not very good at this and wondered how to do it and thought could
> have things in a hash of hashes. As you tend to stick with a limited
> variety of recipes wouldn't be that extensive for personal use. After
> sorting out input.

I have something over 300 foods in my database, and I'm storing a dozen
parameters for each. I also don't want to calculate these parameters
for each entry in the journal, just enter the name and weight, that's
what joining two tables is for.

> my %food=(
> "ham sandwich"=>{
> cal=> .4,
> protein=>.2,
> fiber=>.3,
> },
> "cauliflower cheese"=>{
> cal=> .8,
> protein=>.3,
> fiber=>.1,
> },
> );
> my $calories= $food{$ARGV[0]}{cal}*$ARGV[1];
>
> and add it to a weekly and daily totals file.

Yes, though I had the impression the OP was looking for a suitable
database to do the job, rather than writing from scratch. I have run
web and SQL servers at home for twenty years, doing it the way I did
was the obvious route.

--
Joe