Re: FOSS equivalents of *OLD* database and spreadsheet tools?

On 2020-07-25 13:22, Joe wrote:
Shame about that. If you didn't need FOSS I'd recommend Microsoft
Access, by far the best piece of software they ever produced (not that
it's a high bar). It combines a simple database server, OK for one user,
with a visual RAD system to make the user interface. Beyond doubt, it's
the quickest way to do what you want, and you can probably do most of
what you need with no code at all, just editing properties of objects.
But you have to walk the Dark Path, and pay money.

+1

Using VBA to pull data from Access and feed it into other Office applications is very compelling-- Excel graphs, Word form letters, etc..

There will never be a FOSS Access, because the FOSS database people
sneer at it. A damn cheek, given the appalling state of LibreOffice
Base. I've tried to use that, but it's impossibly buggy. OK for editing
tables, now that it is finally able to talk to remote database servers
reliably and without ODBC, but disastrous for making user interfaces.
The last time I used the Report Writer (literally the last time ever) it
simply wasn't working at all

Ouch. was wondering about that when I posted the link to LibreOffice Base (which I have not tried for a very long time)...

It's been a while, but Linux-Apache-MySQL-Perl worked for me back in the day:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamp_stack

David