Mencoder and ffmpeg

Hi all.

I wanted to capture my webcam streaming and audio using ffmpeg but banged
against `a sea of troubles': sync problems, video freezing, video stuttering,
background noise, choose of one format rather than other...  Mencoder instead
at once easily, with:

  $ mencoder tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:width=640:height=480:device=/dev/video0:forceaudio:alsa:adevice=hw.1,0 -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=64:mode=3 -o webcam.avi

did perfectly the job.  But Mencoder is hardly ever used compared with
ffmpeg...

I wonder why so much difference in this case between the two respective
behaviours and wish to know what you listers think about all that...

thanks for any help

cheers

rodolfo