Re: Do other owners of WD Gold disks hear a periodic plonk ?

Hi,

rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> You might not have read the entire [Click_of_death] article.

Indeed. Now i need to search my old loudspeakers in order to compare
the sound file on Wikipedia with the disk's sound.

D. R. Evans wrote:
> I can say that my experience (YMMV) is that 100% of the drives
> that exhibit this phenomenon have failed sometime not long after the
> phenomenon began

I will try to get it exchanged. Hopefully the hearable activity without
any operating system running is reason enough. Will see next week.

Thomas Amm wrote:
> I'd backup my data before trying anything else

There are no valuable data on it yet. I used "shred" to write two files
of 100 GB each. Knocking continues while the drive writes 180 MB/s and
while it reads at 240 MB/s. The knock is a bit louder than the normal
working sounds of moving heads.
(I should build up a tree of many files with scattered content to hear
 it being truely busy. For now it makes no other unusual noises.)

David Christensen wrote:
> Click of death.

At least this is the reality which i will present to the disk vendor
while negotiating about replacement.

But personally i still have doubts that it is this particular problem.
The knocking is not "Click-click-click" as described in the web, but
rather "Pok" ... 3 or 4 seconds ... "Pok" ...

Reco wrote:
> It's simple:
> smartctl -t long /dev/sda

The short test yielded
  Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
  # 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%        11         -

The long test is expected to end in 5.5 hours. Progress report is fewly
entertaining because moving in steps of 10 percent:

  # smartctl -a /dev/sda | fgrep -A 1 'Self-test execution status' ; date
  Self-test execution status:      ( 246) Self-test routine in progress...
                                          60% of test remaining.
  Sat 25 Jul 2020 10:57:53 AM CEST

The disk is doing its klonkwork reliably. But today the rythm seems to
tend more towards 1 beat per 4 seconds. Yesterday it was more like 1/3 bps.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas